Thursday, September 6, 2007

IVF Cycle #2

So, after the first IVF cycle was a bust J and I pretty much didn't know what we were going to do. We had received financial aid for this cycle and weren't sure how we would ever come up with the money to fund another cycle.
We started looking into adoption, which by the way, is even more expensive than an IVF cycle! How in the world would we ever have a child?!?! Anyone who ever says to you, "why don't you just adopt?" has never looked into the details of adopting. The whole process is overwhelming. Aside from being cost prohibitive, you can be denied for medical reasons (which J has) and even for being overweight, depending on the country you choose to adopt from. Great, now not only do I have to feel inadequate because of my inability to conceive, but now I have to feel even more inadequate because another country considers me to fat to adopt their children. Still, I gather all of the information about adopting and even start talking to people who have adopted about how they managed. We even went to an adoption seminar.
I also took on a second job figuring that I was going to need the extra money. Can you believe that I had co-workers tell me I needed to learn how to better manage my money - that I shouldn't have to work two jobs?!
In November 2005 we got a call from Dr. RE who said that they had put us back on the financial aid list and our names had been drawn again. Did we want to do another cycle? YES! Of Course!!!
Some minor testing beforehand, and you guessed it, again they found another polyp which required surgery.

Our 2nd IVF cycle began in February 2006.
This time I did acupuncture, visualization, meditation, yoga. You name it, I did it. Ended up with 10 eggs retrieved this time as they were able to reach my other ovary but still only 5 fertilized.
On day 3 we transferred 3 grade A embies again. Surely this time it would work.
We got a call on day 6 that we had one blast that could be frozen and the other had arrested. We froze our one and only remaining embie pretty sure that we would be successful this time and wouldn't need it for a while.

At the end of the 2ww, again a BFN.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

It always annoys me when people say "just adopt". Right, because it is so easy and inexpensive and less invasive? I want to smack them!

I'm so sorry about your failed IVFs. It just isn't fair. I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this.