Sunday, November 11, 2007

Getting Healthy

I am embarking on a 30-day (and beyond) get healthy challenge thanks to dmarie. I'm glad to see that there are a few other bloggers taking the challenge with us. It's always helpful to have someone to go through these things with; a little extra support.
I figured out my
real age and it doesn't look good right now. It's not terribly bad - just 6.5 years older than my actual age but it really got me thinking. Obviously the BIG reason my real age is higher is because I am a smoker. Yes, I know it's terrible. And, I've always stopped completely after transfers and while I was pregnant. But for the rest of the time - when I'm stressed over stimming, follicle checks, blood work results, and the worry over how we will ever have a family, I enjoy my cigarettes. I only smoke about about 5 cigarette a day. Please don't tell me that that is the reason I have difficulty getting pregnant - because I don't believe that. There are plenty of people in the world who smoke and get pregnant easily.
My other big agers are being overweight and my stress level. I have gained about 50 pounds since J and I got married and started ttc. I know that I need to lose some weight - not a huge surprise to me. And my stress level, well, in the past year I have miscarried my baby, lost my mother to breast cancer, and pursued fertility treatments. Stressed? Who me?
The realage website gave me a detailed plan on how I can get healthy and lower my real age. It suggests choosing 1-3 action steps over the next three months that I can commit to doing every day. At the end of 3 months I am supposed to go back and re-take the test to see if my new lifestyle habits have lowered my real age.
I am starting this challenge tomorrow so I'll let you know which three action steps I pick as my new healthy habits. Maybe if I can get healthy and lower my real age then my crappy eggs will be younger too, and maybe the next IUI will work.

No comments: